Monday, October 5, 2009

Pam’s January Birthday Party

Okay, so a few of you wanted to begin the points process early. So here is my idea. Every 10 days a new project will be listed on my pix a day blog. This way you can find more ways to earn points for my party. Most of the points can be earned from the day I post until my next birthday party in early January. But some of the projects won’t have any points.

I will always let you know if there is a limit or not on each project. Its okay if you don't want to participate. But believe me, it will not only be worth it for points, but also good for environment. Some of these projects will help someone else too. I have decided to do this so you will have about three months to earn points, not just one week. Most of the projects are easy and will not take up very much time.

Here is a new twist. I will keep the point values a secret until the end of the party.

Project 1, October 5, 2009

Collect empty paper towel rolls and empty toilet paper rolls, (these are the brown holders for the paper).

You may ONLY collect them from your household. You may not collect them from neighbors, friends, relatives or organizations. AGAIN, COLLECT ONLY THOSE USED IN YOUR HOME.

I will use these in my garden next Spring. I will trim them to 2" wide and plant seeds in them. I plan to plant pumpkins, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, zucchini, pepper and tomato starts in them. So I need quite a few.

You may collect these until my party which is in January 2010. THERE IS NO LIMIT !!!!!
Any questions? Please use the comment box.

This is a sample of what I have collected.

This is a drop in the bucket of what I need.

Thanks for your help.

2 comments:

  1. I want to know the gardening secret, exactly how do you use them? Do they work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well to be honest, I haven't tried them yet. But I think they will totally work. Usually when you buy a vegetable plant from the greenhouse, they come in a little packs. They can be in a 4-pack, or 6-pack and even single packs. The singles are usually 69 cents. The 4 or 6 packs are usually $2 or $3. So I try to plant as many plants as I can so I don't have to purchase them. So, I plant them in a 'flat'. A flat can hold 24 plants. Usually I use old 4 or 6 packs and fill them with potting soil. Then when planting them in the garden I have to take them out of the packs. This usually disturbs the delicate roots and sometimes the dirt falls away from the plant. Another system is to buy waffers. They are usually 20 for $2. The waffers are hard and they contain potting soil, they are about 1/3" tall. When you add water they expand to about 1" in height and I plant my seeds in them. They fit 24 to a 'flat' too. But when you plant them into the garden, the cloth that holds the waffer together doesn't decay, but continues to restrict the growth of the small plants' roots. When planting small seedlings into the garden, they need all the help they can get, so I don't like to disturb the delicate root system. Some of the plants have been growing for about 8 weeks, and when you disrupt them in planting it sets them back in their growth. They have a major adjustment to make. So I don't like either of these methods.
    So I thought of this method with the cardboard tubes. I will fill a 'flat' with 24 tubes. Fill them with potting soil and plant the seeds. When it is warm enough to transplant them outside, I will just take the entire plant - tube and all and plant it in the ground. This should not disturb the roots at all and the plant should be able to adjust easier.
    This season, I planted about 500 plants, such as peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, cantalope, squash, pumpkins, watermelon and zucchinni all in hills. This next year I will try to start 300 in my small greenhouse using this new tube method. This way, I won't have to purchase the expensive plants.
    Sorry to give you such a long answer, I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete